Monday, February 09, 2009

I cannot go to school today said little....

Here is a link to a video that I think says it all.  I want to publish the actual video on this post, but I don't know how to put an actual youtube video on here.  Anyway, just click on the link and enjoy.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

For the last few years, I've made countless excuses for my failures--Tatum was just born and she's waking up in the night and I'm SO tired I can't keep it up...Dane was just born....My knees hurt...I'm having some allergy/asthma issues...and the list goes on.  Some of these are viable excuses, but that is all they are; excuses.  

On the biggest loser, one of the contestants who had to spend time at home for a little bit before coming back said something to the effect, "when I got home, I was exhausted every day.  I was helping with the kids, around the house, and working.  I didn't think I had time to work out, nor the energy.  But somehow, I found enough time to watch 2-3 hours of t.v. a day.  So, I stopped the t.v. if it was getting in the way of my health."  Again, not his exact words, but the gist is the same.  

I have been going to a place called competitive fitness for the last 2 weeks and have come to realize what I have been missing out on.  My body is more sore than it has been in years, and I've been getting up at 5:30 to go.  The crazy thing, after the first few days, I now wake up at 3am then 5am anticipating my alarm.  My point is, this whole getting fit, eating right, etc. is MENTAL!!!  Nearly every physical challenge we face can be made better, easier, or fixed, if we strengthen our minds.  I'm doing that.  I've just started.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I might fall off the back of the wagon, but I will not let go of the rope this time around.  I will keep pulling myself back on.  So, I'm still riding the wagon and feeling great.  

4 comments:

Dixiechick said...

I like this Porter. It has always fascinated me that people "Don't have time" to exercise or get in shape at this time in their life. It's not a "time of life" kind of thing. It is life. Why waste most or all of it uncomfortable and unable to do the things you really want to do? It is mental and once you have the switch go on and get rolling it's hard to turn off. Suddenly your excuses that used to work for you start to sound lame and you know you'd better get your buns in gear. Sounds like you are getting there. That's awesome! I would love for you to beat me in a triathlon. :)

Lana said...

whoa, that video was pretty crazy. good post. I'm proud of you for going every morning. :)

Bubba the Hutt said...

On the Youtube site you'll see the word "embed" on the right side of the page. Click on that word and it should automatically copy the embed code to your clipboard (otherwise copy the "<"object width..."/>").

Then start a new post (or edit a previous one) and click on the "Edit Html" tab. Paste the embeded code.

Remember, you have to be in the "Edit Html" tab, not "Compose".

Your "Edit Html" tab will look something like this (I had to substitute out the html tags, so every time you see a [, it's actually supposed to be a "<", and ] = ">", not allowed to used html tags in comments):

[object width="425" height="344"][param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/obdd31Q9PqA&hl=en&fs=1"][/param][param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"][/param][param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"][/param][embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/obdd31Q9PqA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"][/embed][/object]

Crandell Fam said...

A wise man once said: "We are all given the same 24 hours in a day...but what you DO with those 24 hours makes all the difference." I totally agree. We have way more time than we think we do...it's all about prioritizing. Good for you with your exercise and weight loss! I'm trying, and it feels great!