Monday, January 10, 2011

Good Intentions, poor follow through

Everyone has good intentions I think. Well, for the most part. Some intend on smiling more, others intend of waking earlier. There are some who intend on being healthier and even more who intend on being healthier on Monday. Now that I've flogged any interested with a paragraph of malarkey, let me share MY good intentions.

Outside of the fact that I intend to be healthy, smile more, eat better, love more, etc., I am intending on writing about people. People who in one way or another, have influenced me and my life. Be it small or major. In so doing, I hope to share with all of my reader (yes, I left the s off intentionally), how you never know what kind of effect you might have on those around you. There are some days my heart is so full of thanks for people, and there are others, that I fight against my inborn pride and selfishness--trying to remind myself that the world is made up of more than just me.

Part of my motivation stems from a video clip my sister posted on Facebook about a man in India who gave up everything to help those with nothing. It moved me. From thence, I have made "intentions" to follow this question: Have I done any good in the world today? For some, that question will ring because is comes from a song.

"Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? Have I cheered up the sad? Or made someone feel glad? If not, I have failed indeed."
"Has anyones burden been lighter today, because I was willing to share? Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way? When they needed my help was I there?"

These poignant words echo emotions in my mind in such a way that EVERY time I hear them or read them, I want to stand and do something. But EVERY time I want to do that, my own natural desires to sit and do nothing get in the way. I'm left to think about the chorus of that song: Then wake up! And do something more than dream of your mansion above. Doing good is a pleasure! A joy beyond measure. A blessing of duty and love.

Over the last little while I've forgotten that a little too often. I'm married to an amazing woman. A motivated, very beautiful woman. I often recognize that I got the better end of this deal. I routinely make silly mistakes, big mistakes, dumb mistakes, and foolish mistakes. I'm not very good at expressing my thoughts and emotions in explanation of said mistakes. But through it all, she has continued to love me and for that I'm grateful and indebted. Now what does this have to do with anything I've written above?? A lot. I simply wanted to say that she is a giver. She is a lover. She doesn't waste time dreaming of her mansion above. Yes life gets overwhelming and frustrating for her, just like everyone else. But she is a shining example for me. I have many, but Lana is my love.

So, in the coming while, I hope to share with you those people who have influenced my life. Some entries might be shorter or longer than others. If someone isn't mentioned--nor harm intended. If someone obscure IS, lucky them. hahahah. With that, I'll bid all a fond farewell. Until we read again.

Porter.

No comments: