Sunday, May 19, 2019

Friends/Talent/Life

I haven't posted anything for a long time because that's just the way I work I guess. This is like a journal to me, and I don't really write in my journal so well either. But, I had to take a few minutes to write down some things that are important to me.

I realize, and have known for some time now, that I have been so greatly blessed with extraordinary friends in my life. However, I had the most marvelous weekend involving a number of them that I had to simply write it down for verification.

I went to one of my best friend's (Rob Gardner) performances this weekend. He has composed a number of things--foremost being "He Is Jesus Christ", "Joseph Smith the Prophet", and the recording I saw this weekend, "Saints and Pioneers". I was so moved by the music and the words. It's not often you get to associate with people with such abilities who aren't pompous or just unsociable. While at the show, I ran into one of my favorite mission companions--Lance Runyan. He's such a stud. I love that guy. Also, I ran into my high school chorus director whom I admire so much for his love and devotion of and to his craft. The Spirit of the Lord was so strong on me this weekend.

One of the lines from Rob's show this weekend was this, "God made our voices, but we make them sing". It is our responsibility to share what we are given of the Lord. It is we who must share the truth of the restoration of the gospel. It is we who are responsible to share the talents that God has given us. Rob is using his talents to share his testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He is unashamed. I ought to be doing the same. It's sad but true; I let the ebbs and flows of life carry me along all too often.

Yesterday and today was general conference. What an AWESOME conference. It seemed that the overriding theme was trials--we all will have them in some way or another--but we all can be healed from them or know that there will be respite of some sort sooner than later in the grand scheme of things. One thing that stood out to me was the comment made about addictions and same sex attraction. The speaker said that the Lord has promised that the atonement can over come all in this life--whether that be simply having the strength to cope with the problem until the resurrection or whether that be complete healing--it is the same. We get to choose--we can be miserable, or we can swallow our pride and thank the Lord for the chance to improve every day. I loved hearing that gentle reminder that there are better things, and that Christ did NOT die in vain. I have already felt the healing powers of the atonement in my life, but I know I can rely on the Lord's promise to feel that power over and over. It is my testimony and witness that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is God's church on earth.

At the end of today, I got some pretty shocking news in the late evening today. One of my close friend's father died today of a heart attack. He was out for a motorcycle ride and after pulling over to the side of the road, died of a heart attack. I can't believe it. I hope she and the rest of her family are doing ok. Life is definitely fragile. I absolutely need to take more concern for my own health. I'm active and I love to run and play, but I eat like total crap a lot of the time and I know that will catch up to me and I don't want to die because my freaking arteries are clogged up because I didn't have the ability to control myself. Ah...the carnal desires of man. Oh yeah, and Ah....stretchy pants!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good thoughts.

Anonymous said...

good thoughts.